Adult Protective Services Reporting By State

State Agency Hotlines, Websites and Online Reporting Links

Help those who can’t help themselves. If you’re a concerned family or friend of a vulnerable person whom you suspect may be financially, physically or emotionally abused report this to your State Area Agency on Ageing. If you’re in a profession where a mandatory reporting is required by law then you are required to report suspected abuse within 24 hours in most States.

When we come face-to-face with the maltreatment of an elder or person with a disability many of us don’t know what to do. Who do we turn to? What do we say? Do we call the police? Will we get in trouble ourselves? Experts say the reason why many of us do not take action in these situations is because it may be a family member we need to report. What many of us don’t know, however, is in some states it is a crime not to report maltreatment when we see it.

The simple truth is maltreatment has to be reported because, in the majority of cases, that is the only way it can be stopped. Most states have made this process as simple as possible for you with a confidential telephone number to call. We have compiled the list of State Reporting Hotlines from all 50 states.

If you believe an elderly person or vulnerable adult in your life is a victim of maltreatment (abuse, neglect or financial exploitation), report it. If you are a victim, you are not alone and there are people who can help you if you report it. The numbers listed here are those listed in each state as the appropriate number to call if you suspect abuse, neglect or financial exploitation of an elder or vulnerable adult. (These numbers may be changed from time to time by state and local authorities.) If you suspect a victim is in immediate or life-threatening danger, call 911 for law enforcement or emergency assistance.



Report – Adult Protective Services: 1-800-458-7214

Report M-F, 8-5 p.m., except for holidays

Alabama Department of Human Resources

Alabama Adult Protective Services (Abuse reporting form and info on page)



Report – Centralize Intake:  800-478-9996

Outside Alaska: 907-269-3666

Report M-F, 8-5 p.m.; after hours – contact police department or leave a message

Alaska Department of Health and Social Services, Alaska Adult Protective Services



Report – Adult Protective Services:  1-SOS-Adult or 1-877-767-2385

TDD:  1-877-815-8390

Report M-F, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Sat-Sun, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Report 24 hours, 7 days a week (online)

Report Online

Arizona Adult Protective Services



Report – Adult Protective Services:  1-800-482-8049

Report 24 hours, 7 days a week (including holidays)

Arkansas Adult Protective Services



Report Elder Abuse: No statewide Toll Free number, call local county law enforcement or local Department of Social Services

Department of Social Services

California Listings by County

Report 24 hours, 7 days a week (for most counties, others have additional after hours and weekend number)

Copy of county list

California Adult Protective Services

Report Online



Report – Adult Protection Hotline:  720-944-2994 (Denver, CO)

Report M-F, 8-4:30 p.m.

After hours, call 303-601-5669

Contact: [email protected]

Colorado Website

Department of Human Services

Report – Listing by Counties

Other Resources for Older Adults

Denver Department of Human Services

Adult Protective Services



Department of Social Services

Report:  1-888-385-4225

After Hours, weekends and Holidays:  2-1-1

Outside of Connecticut:  1-800-203-1234

Adult Protective Services




Report – Division of Services for Aging:  1-800-223-9074, press 1

TDD:  302-391-3505

Report M – F, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm

Fax: 302-255-4445

Delaware Adult Protective Services

Delaware Contact by County


District of Columbia

Report – D.C. Adult Protective Services:  202-541-3950

TTY:  711

Report 24 hours a day, 7 days a week OR Walk-in M-F, 8:15 am – 4:45 pm

D.C. Department of Human Services

DC Adult Protective Services website



Tel: 1-800-96Abuse or 1-800-962-2873 (Toll-free)

TDD (Telephone Device for the Deaf): 1-800-453-5145

Fax: 1-800-914-0004

Report 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call same number to report in Spanish or Creole.

Report Online

Florida Department of Elder Affairs (Adult Protect Services)

Florida Department of Children and Families



Report – Division of Aging Services hotline:  1-888-774-0152

Division of Aging: 404-657-5250 (Metro-Atlanta)

Fax report:  770-408-3001

Report M-F, 8am – 5 pm

Report Online

Georgia Adult Protective Services

Division of Aging Services Toll-Free:  1-866-55AGING or 1-866-552-4464, press 3



Report – Adult Protective Services Centralize Intake:  808-832-5115

Offices open M-F, 7:45 am – 4:30 pm, except holidays

Hawaii Department of Human Services

Adult Protective Services

808-832-5115 (Oahu)

808-243-5151 (Maui, Molokai, and Lanai)

808-241-3432 or 808-241-3337 (Kauai)

808-933-8820 (East Hawaii – Hamakua, Hilo, Puna)

808-327-6280 (West Hawaii – Kamuela, Kau, Kohala, Kona)



Report – Idaho Center for Aging – centralize intake:  1-877-471-2777, call M-F(they will forward to local county office)

Report M-F, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Idaho Adult Protection

  • Northern Idaho/Coeur D’Alene area (Benewah, Boundary, Bonner, Kootenai, and Shoshone counties): 208-667-3179 or 800-786-5536 x241 or x221 – M-F, 8:30 am – 12 or 1 pm – 4 pm;
  • North Central Idaho/Lewiston area (Clearwater, Idaho, Latah, Lewis, and Nez Perce counties): 208-798-4192 or 800-877-3206
  • Southwestern Idaho/Boise area (Ada, Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, Valley, and Washington counties): 208-908-4990 or 800-859-0321
  • South Central Idaho/Twin Falls area (Blaine, Camas, Cassia, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, Minidoka, and Twin Falls counties): 208-736-2122 or 800-574-8656
  • Southeast Idaho/Pocatello area (Bannock, Bear Lake, Bingham, Caribou, Franklin, Oneida, and Power counties): 208-233-4032 or 800-526-8129
  • Eastern Idaho/Idaho Falls area (Bonneville, Butte, Clark, Custer, Fremont, Jefferson, Lemhi, Madison, and Teton counties): 208-522-5391 or 800-632-4813



Report – Department on Aging, Adult Protective Services:  1-866-800-1409

Report M-F, 8:30 am – 5:30 pm

TTY/TDD:  1-800-252-8966

Out of State: 217-524-6911 (will be transferred to hotline)

TTY: 888-206-1327

Illinois Department on Aging

Report Online



Report – Adult Protective Service:  1-800-992-6978

Report M-F, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm

Outside Indiana: 1-800-545-7763, ext. 20135

Indiana Division of Aging

Indiana Adult Protective Services



Report – Department of Human Services:  1-800-362-2178

Report 24 hours, 7 days a week

Iowa Department of Human Services

Department of Human Services, Dependent Adult Abuse



Report – Kansas Protection Center for Adult and Child Abuse:  1-800-922-5330

Outside Kansas: 785-296-0044

Report 24 hours, 7 days a week

Kansas Department for Children and Families

Kansas Adult Protective Services



Report – Centralize Intake Child and Adult Abuse Hotline:  1-800-752-6200

Fax report:  502-595-0895

Report 24 hours, 7 days a week

Email report:

Kentucky Adult Protective Services

Kentucky Department for Community Based Services (elder abuse awareness website)

Kentucky Department for Aging and Independent Living



Report – Office of Aging and Adult Services:  1-800-898-4910

Report M-F 8 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Louisiana Elderly Protective Services



Report – The Office of Elder Services:  1-800-624-8404

Report – Relay:  711

Report M-F, 7:30 am – 5:00 pm

After Hours:  1-800-624-8404, press 0

Maine Department of Health and Human Services

Maine Hotlines

Main Attorney General’s Office



Maryland Department of Human Resources:  1-800-332-6347, press 5

Report M-F, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Maryland Adult Protective Services



Report – Toll Free:  1-800-922-2275

Report 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs

Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs – Protective Services Program



Report:  855-444-3911

Report 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Report Online

Michigan List of County Health and Human Services offices

Michigan Adult Protective Services

Michigan Elder Justice Initiative



Report Toll-free at Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center:  844-880-1574

TDD/TTY: 1-800-627-3529

Report 24 hours, 7 days a week

Minnesota Department of Human Services

Report Online



Department of Human Services, Adult Protective Services

Report:  1-844-437-6282

Other Contacts:  Division of Aging & Adult Services 
601-359-4929 | 601-359-4577 | 800-948-3090
Email: [email protected]


Report Online



Report – Department of Health & Senior Services:  1-800-392-0210

Report 7 a.m. – 12 a.m., 7 days a week

Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services



Report – Central Intake: 1-800-551-3191

Outside Montana: 406-444-4077

Report M-F, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Call 911 after hours

Montana Adult Protective Services



Report:  1-800-652-1999

Report 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Out of State: 402-595-1324

Nebraska Adult Protective Services

Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services



Report Toll-Free:  888-729-0571

Las Vegas:  702-486-6930

Report M-F, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., except holidays

Nevada Aging & Disability Division:  775-687-4210, press 0

Nevada Department of Health and Human Services

Nevada Adult Protective Services


New Hampshire

Report Toll-free: 800-949-0470

or Bureau of Elderly and Adult Services:  603-271-7014

Report M-F, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm

Call 911 after hours, weekends, and holidays

New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services


New Jersey

Report – 1-800-792-8820 (indicate whether this is a report for in-home or in-nursing facility)

Department of Human Services: 609-588-6501

Report M-F, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

After Hours: call 911 or local police

Outside of New Jersey: 609-341-5567

New Jersey Adult Protective Services

*Also available by county – list of counties


New Mexico

Report – Adult Protective Services Statewide Intake Line: 866-654-3219

Local:  505-476-4912 or 505-841-6100

Report 24 hours, 7 days a week

New Mexico Adult Protective Services


New York

Report: 1-800-342-3009

Adult Protective Services: 844-697-3505

Report M-F, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

New York Office of Children and Families, Bureau of Adult Services

New York Local Social Services (list)

New York County District Attorney’s Office

Elder Abuse Education and Outreach Program

New York State Coalition on Elder Abuse


North Carolina

Report – Department of Health and Human Services Customer Service Center:  1-800-662-7030, press 5

Report M-F, 8am – 5 pm

North Carolina Offices by County

North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services

North Carolina Adult Protective Services


North Dakota

Report – Central Intake Line: 855-462-5465

Report M – F, 8 am – 5 pm

Fax: 701-328-8744

Report by E-mail

Report Online

North Dakota Department of Human Services

Reporting Abuse Neglect of Vulnerable Adult



Report Abuse: Toll-free at 1-855-OHIO-APS (1-855-644-6277)  

Ohio Hopes Helpline:  800-411-2267

Local: 614-466-1213, press 2 (Adult Protective Services)

Ohio Adult Protective Services – Ohio Hopes

For listing of reporting offices by county

*Note: operator will redirect to local county office



Report – Child Abuse and Neglect hotline:  1-800-522-3511

Oklahoma Department of Human Services

Oklahoma Reporting by County (list)

Report Online



Report – Department of Human Services:  Toll-Free 855-503-SAFE or 855-503-7233

Oregon Department of Health and Human Services

Reporting Info

To report in local county – list of counties



Report – Statewide Protective Services Hotline:  1-800-490-8505

Report 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Email Pennsylvania Adult Protective Service office  or call 717-736-7116.

Pennsylvania Department of Human Services


Puerto Rico

Adult Protective Services (Spanish)

National Adult Protective Service Association

Report – Adult Protective Services: 787-721-8225 or 787-749-1333

Puerto Rico government


Rhode Island

Report:  401-462-0555

Fax:  401-462-0545

Rhode Island Department of Human Services, Division of Elderly Affairs

Rhode Island Division of Elderly Affairs


South Carolina

Report:  866-854-5465 (advise whether in-home or nursing home abuse)

South Carolina Adult Protective Services contact: 803-898-7318

Department of Social Services

Adult Protective Services


South Dakota

Report – Adult Protective Services:  605-773-3656

Adult Services and Aging:  605-773-3656

Adult Protective Services

Long Term Services and Support Offices

South Dakota Adult Services and Aging

Reporting via Department of Social Service Office (list by county)

To report abuse, neglect, or exploitation of an elder or an adult with disabilities, please contact your local law enforcement agency, local state’s attorney’s office or the nearest Department of Social Services’ office.



Report – Department of Human Services, Adult Protective Service:  1-888-APS-TENN or 1-888-277-8366, press 1

Report Online

Report 24 hours, 7 days a week

Nashville:  615-532-3492, press 1

Outside of the above areas: 888-277-8366

Tennessee Adult Protective Services

Tennessee Department of Human Services



Report – Toll-Free:  1-800-252-5400

512-834-3784 – outside Texas

Report 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

TYY:  711 or 1-800-735-2889

Texas Adult Protective Services

Report Online



Report – Adult Protective Services:  1-800-371-7897

Report Online

Utah Adult Protective Services



Report – Central Intake Unit:  1-800-564-1612

Fax:  802-241-2358

Report M – F, 7:45am – 4:30pm; after hours, leave a message (call back next business day)

Adult Protective Services



Online Reporting

Report Online



Report:  Toll-Free 1-888-83-ADULT or 1-888-832-3858

Other: can report by calling local department of Social Service:  //

Virginia Department of Social Services

Report Online



Report – Intake hotline:  1-866-EndHarm or 1-866-363-4276

Washington Adult Protective Services (APS) Regional Reporting

Washington Aging and Disability Services Administration


West Virginia

Report – Abuse and Neglect Centralized Intake Center:  1-800-352-6513

Report 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Report Online

West Virginia Adult Protective Services



Wisconsin Elder Adults-at-Risk Help Lines (click on county to locate hotline information)

Wisconsin Department of Health Services



Wyoming Department of Family Services

No statewide hotline number – Click here for a listing of different numbers (28 counties)




Elder Exploitation, Negligence, Abuse, State Funded Health Facility Safety & Ethics Violations,  Social Worker, Clinical Psychologist, Guardian, Conservator,  Primary Care Geriatric Physician, Estate Planning Attorney Legal and Medical Malpractice By State.
Crowdsource, Geo API Developed in Coeur d’Alene, Kootenai County & Sandpoint, Bonner County, Idaho and Spokane & Stevens County, Washington.